Recognising the rapidly evolving impact of Covid-19, Edinburgh University do not expect to be able to run our Science Insights work experience programme as originally planned so instead of the in-person programme based at the University of Edinburgh, it will be running an online version of the programme.
Science Insights Online will run in the same week, 27-31 July, and like the original programme the 40 places will be open to pupils currently in S5 at Scottish high schools. We will programme 2-3 hours of Science Insights Online content per day, and we also hope to provide additional content during the week that is open to a wider pool of S5 pupils studying Higher Biology/Human Biology.
Programme details are still to be confirmed, but Science Insights Online will include (virtual) guided tours of our research facilities, chances to hear about a range of research from our scientists and clinicians, and opportunities to explore the real world impacts and ethical aspects of research in biological, biomedical and animal sciences. The University of Edinburgh's Widening Participation team will also offer a session during the programme with hints and tips on applying to university and writing an engaging personal statement.
We are very happy to receive applications from S5 pupils, but pupils who fulfil one or more of the following Widening Participation criteria will be prioritised for places:
• Attending a school of below-average attainment and / or progression to higher education
• Residing in an area of low progression to higher education, as defined by the Scottish Index of Multiple
• Deprivation (SIMD)
• Is / has been Care experienced
• Is estranged
• Is a carer
• Is / will be in receipt of Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) or Free School Meals
• Is/has been an asylum seeker or refugee
To give everyone a chance to hear about Science Insights Online and to apply, we are extending the application deadline to Monday 11 May. Places will be assigned on the basis of the applications received as well as the Widening Participation criteria above - NOT on a "first come, first served" basis.
The Science Insights Online application process will be very similar to our current online application form, with a couple of extra questions about online access (we will do our best to help candidates who may face connectivity problems and/or challenges engaging with an online programme). https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/outreach/science-insights/how-to-apply
Pupils who have already applied will not need to resubmit their applications and will be contacted and given the option to transfer their application to the new programme.
We welcome applications to Science Insights if pupils are:
• Currently in 5th year of High School (S5) and will be staying on for S6
• Enthusiastic and interested in biological sciences / biochemistry
• Curious, keen to learn and ask questions
• Able to attend online sessions on all five days of the programme: Monday 27 to Friday 31 July 2020, likely to be 2-3 hours per day.